The AC Cool Roof Binder systems are based on Kynar Aquatec PVDF binders, developed by Arkema’s fluoropolymer group, and ENCOR Flex polymers from Arkema Coating Resins.
Currently three systems are available, allowing greater formulation flexibility across different applications:
- AC III Binder System – This system uses a Kynar Aquatec FMA-12 PVDF based topcoat and ENCOR Flex 187 all acrylic or ENCOR Flex 192 modified acrylic basecoat to provide the highest possible level of performance and durability. It is designed primarily for the most demanding cool roof coating applications.
- AC II Binder System – Utilizing a proprietary ENCOR Flex 187 all acrylic polymer or ENCOR Flex 192 modified acrylic latex, this base and topcoat system delivers excellent performance and meets ASTM D-6083, “Standard Specification for Liquid Applied Acrylic Coating Used in Roofing.”
- AC I Binder System – This ENCOR Flex 3186 styrene acrylic system provides a good mix of performance and value for less demanding applications.
The Kemperol Reflect 2K FR from Kemper System is a cold, liquid-applied reinforced cool roofing system that can improve building energy efficiency. The white surface helps reflect sunlight and reduce the impact of infrared rays that can tax building cooling systems. The easy-to-apply, fully reinforced membrane is applied the same way as Kemper System’s Kemperol 2K-PUR solvent- and odor-free system, but the new liquid waterproofing pours out white and dries to a bright white. Because no topcoat is necessary, labor costs and installation times are reduced. The system consists of 70 percent rapidly renewable resources, is fire-rated for Class-A assemblies, and is odor-free and low-VOC.
The bright white surface helps reflect sunlight and reduce the impact of infrared (IR) rays that can tax building cooling systems.
The easy-to-apply, fully-reinforced membrane is applied the same way as Kemper System’s Kemperol 2K-PUR solvent- and odor-free system, but the liquid waterproofing pours out white and dries to a bright white finish. Because no topcoat is necessary, labor costs and installation time are reduced.
The cool roof resin membrane system consists of 70 percent renewable resources, is fire rated for Class-A assemblies, and is odor-free and low-VOC.
Kemperol Reflect 2K FR extends Kemper System’s efforts to support sustainable design. It works for exposed roofs where reflectivity can make a major impact on building energy demands, and it offers many of the same advantages as the Kemperol 2K-PUR system, popular for ‘Green Roofs’ and ‘Blue Roofs’.
The product was tested in Europe and proven valuable on ‘cool roofs’ (also known as ‘white roofs’) especially in warmer climates and areas with above average sunshine.
Kemperol membrane systems fully adhere to substrates, and are self-flashing and self-terminating for easy installation and edge-to-edge protection. They can seal roof perimeters, multiple penetrations and virtually any architectural detail, with extended-warranty protection. They are fully reinforced with 165 polyester fleece which absorbs the resin and can achieve proper membrane thickness in a single layer.
RM Lucas adds #8000 Silicone Roof Coating to its line of roof restoration products. The #8000 is ideal for flat roofs that experience periods of retained water. The breathable coating may be applied by spray or roller and is available in reflective white and other common colors. The coating bonds to all major roof substrates and comes with a warranty.
Benefits of using Polybrite silicone coatings on roof restoration projects, as well as new construction, include:
- Excellent resistance to weathering including UV radiation, extreme temperatures, rain, ice and snow
- Improves ponding water protection
- Can reduce energy costs by decreasing roof surface temperature
- Fungal and algal resistant—even in high temperatures
- NSF Protocol P151 approved for rainwater catchment (white only)
- 50 year limited warranty
Polyglass offers two silicone roof coating options as part of its Kool Roof Solutions – Polybrite 90, a premium grade, high solids, single component silicone roof coating; and Polybrite 95, a solvent-based, ready-to-use silicone roof coating. Both Polybrite 90 and Polybrite 95 meet or exceed the requirements of ASTM D6694 and ASTM C1305; are UL Class A rated and will soon be ENERGY STAR approved; rated with the Cool Roof Rating Council; Factory Mutual approved, Miami Dade County compliant and Florida Building Code approved.
Polybrite 90 and Polybrite 95 are available in White and Kool Grey colors and can be purchased in 5 gallon pails and 50 gallon drums.