Located in Hatfield, Pa., Laminators Inc. is a family-owned and operated business now in its third generation. For more than 50 years, the Thompson family and the Laminators Inc. team have been building a company that is known for its ACM products and turnkey services.
According to SmartCEO: “More than two-thirds of privately held businesses in the U.S. are family-owned firms. They are driving the local and national economy and fueling job growth.” Laminators Inc. is committed to providing value through high-quality products, innovative application solutions and superior customer service.
Read SmartCEO’s full article on Laminators Inc. and CEO, David Thompson. Thompson was also featured in a video created by SmartCEO.
SmartCEO’s article on Laminators Inc./David J. Thompson:
- The American Dream: Laminators Inc. manufactures decorative metal wall systems for commercial construction building exteriors, and rigid panel substrates for sign makers. President and CEO David J. Thompson says an entrepreneurial mindset and a willingness to reinvent the company has kept his firm thriving for more than half a century. “Each new product offering was developed because a market dried up or major customers went out of business,” he says. “We’re focused on recognizing opportunities and overcoming adversity.”
- Passing the Torch: After leaving school with a 10th-grade education to support his family during the Great Depression, David Thompson’s grandfather started a handyman business that evolved into Laminators Inc. When David Thompson became president, he transitioned the company from an entrepreneurial leadership focus to a professional management team. David’s three brothers also joined the company, each finding a niche that fueled the firm’s growth.
- Quick Tip: “You can’t hold others accountable unless they have clear, written, mutually set expectations with regular, consistent feedback. Too many employees think they are doing a good job because they haven’t been yelled at lately. We think that’s just wrong.”
- Perfecting Processes: At Laminators, every potential hire, including family members, must go through the interview process. “We want our family members to be qualified and bring skills and education they learn outside our business to create ‘lift’ for the organization,” Thompson says. “It also helps each of us earn the respect of the rest of the employees.”
- Building a Legacy: Thompson believes you build a strong reputation by doing the right things the right way. “It almost always comes back to us later in repeat business and new projects,” he says.