The National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) installed Connie Leipard, CIT, as the 62nd National President during NAWIC’s Annual Meeting and Education Conference in San Antonio, Texas. Leipard, owner of Quality Drywall Construction, has been a member of NAWIC’s Central Missouri Chapter since 1995.
“NAWIC is poised to make a positive impact in the construction industry by focusing our resources on member career development through leadership opportunities, education and networking,” said Leipard. “The 2016-2017 NAWIC national board is committed to making a difference by implementing training programs for our members. In addition, we will increase engagement with construction employers to determine future training programs. Our efforts will lead to greater success in recruiting and retaining women in the industry.”
Leipard’s goals for the upcoming year include providing training resources for chapter leaders and individual members to promote personal, professional and association growth; continuing succession planning for the upcoming retirement of NAWIC’s executive vice president; and implementing a national marketing program.
Leipard’s theme for her year in office is “Support – Encourage – Grow.” This encompasses what NAWIC is all about—enhancing the success of women in the construction industry. She wants to, “remind members of the opportunities we have through NAWIC to make a difference in the industry and for the women employed in it. As we support, encourage and grow, the influence of women in the industry will increase.”
NAWIC also installed officers President-Elect Catherine D. Schoenenberger, Granite State Chapter, N.H.; Vice President Dove Sifers-Putman, CBT, Charlotte, N.C. Chapter; Treasurer Anne Pfleger, CIT, Lima Ohio Area Chapter; Secretary Diane I. Mike, CBT, Fort Worth, Texas Chapter; and Immediate Past President Riki F. Lovejoy, CBT, CIT, Greater Orlando, Fla. Chapter.
In addition to the officers, the NAWIC board is comprised of a director from each of the association’s eight regions. Each director serves a two-year term and is elected by her peers to bring the wishes and needs of the chapters to the attention of the association. New directors installed are:
- Midwest Region Director Vickie Nickel, CIT, Greater Kansas City, Mo. Chapter;
- North Central Region Director Jenny Mangas, Cincinnati, Ohio Chapter;
- Northeast Region Director Doreen Bartoldus, P.E., CCM, Lower Hudson, N.Y. Chapter; and
- Pacific Southwest Region Director Elizabeth M. Teramoto, CIT, Las Vegas, Nev. Chapter.
NAWIC region directors serving the second year of their term are:
- Pacific Northwest Region Director Ruth Fritts, Boise, Idaho Chapter;
- South Atlantic Region Director Lorie Lythgoe, Richmond, Va. Chapter;
- South Central Region Director Dena Rowland, Fort Worth, Texas Chapter; and
- Southeast Region Director Angelia McElroy, CIT, Tampa, Fla. Chapter.